As a young teenager, I used to love having a cream bun from the local bakery, it was an occasional treat on the walk home from work, which is why I was excited to try my hand at actually baking my own.
The verdict? They were super yummy, but funny enough, not as enjoyable as if I had been walking home!
1/4 cup warm milk
2 x 7g sachets dried yeast
1 teaspoon caster sugar
3 cups plain flour
2 tablespoons caster sugar
1 cup warm milk, extra
50g unsalted butter, melted
12 teaspoons strawberry jam
1 tub thickened cream, whipped
Icing sugar for dusting
- Place milk, yeast and sugar into a jug and whisk to combine. Combine with cling film and allow to stand in a warm place for 5 minutes.
- Place flour and sugar into a bowl and mix. Add milk, butter and yeast mixture and stir to combine. Once a dough forms, place on floured bench and knead for 5 minutes. To test dough, place finger into the surface – if the dough bounces back it is read.
- Place dough into a bowl. Cover will cling film and leave to stand in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Once rested, divide the dough into 12 equal pieces. Place on a greased baking tray, leaving space in between each ball. Cover with cling film and allow to rest in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Cook in 200-degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Once cooled, slice down the top of each bun down the centre. Add a teaspoon of jam, then pipe in whipped cream. Add another dollop of jam, dust with icing sugar and serve.
One thought on “Cream Buns”
These look delicious! I’ve never heard of a cream bun before so I may have to try making them. Thank you for sharing your recipe. 🙂