As promised, here is the recipe to make choc orange macarons.
1 1/4 cups almond meal
1 1/2 cups pure icing sugar
1/4 cup caster sugar
2 tablespoons orange rind
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
90g dark chocolate
2 tablespoons thickened cream
1 tablespoon orange juice
- Grease and line three baking trays.
- Sift almond meal, cocoa powder and icing sugar together. Set aside.
- Beat eggwhites until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and beat until dissolved. Add orange rind and beat until combined.
- Fold in half the mixture until just combined.
- Add the rest and mix until it becomes glossy. At this point the mixture may look as if it is breaking down, this is perfectly fine.
- Place mixture into a piping bag or a Ziploc bag and pipe out 4cm rounds, 3cms apart. Tap the trays on the bench to remove any air bubbles. Set aside for an hour, you can’t bake macarons until the tops are hard.
- Bake one tray at a time, at 130 degrees Celsius, for 20 minutes.
- Make the filling by melting the chocolate and cream together. Add orange juice and pop in the fridge until it thickens up (a bit like the consistency of store bought frosting).
- Once macarons are fully cooled, spread the filling over them and sandwich them together.